One of my favorite dishes growing up was potato salad., I remember all that was added to the potatoes was mayonnaise, eggs and grated carrots. Despite the very plain recipe, I could not have enough of it. While watching the food network channel years ago I saw one of the chefs add fresh herbs to their potato salad and since then I have never made potato salad the same way. You can add your favorite ingredients to the salad like tuna or celery. My lovely sister Val made this potato salad and she added bean sprouts for a nice twist to the recipe. Serve with grilled chicken and vegetables for a complete meal.
1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
1 large egg
1/2cup chick peas
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup buttermilk or cream (optional)
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup dill, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan with cold water and salt , put potatoes and eggs and boil.
- After 13 minutes take egg out and cool
- Continue cooking potatoes until soft but not overcooked, about 6 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and cool.
- Mix together remaining ingredients excluding the egg in a large bowl.
- Chop egg into extremely small pieces then add into bowl.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into quarters or smaller if using big potatoes.
- Add potatoes into bowl and gently mix with dressing.Add salt and pepper to taste.