Lately I have been obsessed with vegetarian cooking because of the intense flavors in their dishes. I have come to learn that you do not need to use complicated ingredients to make a delicious meal. Using a lot fresh herbs, spices and knowing what food combinations work is the key to tasty dishes.
I came across a great side dish recipe from Food and Wine magazine which included peas, potatoes, watercress and herbs. Not only is this a healthy dish, it is also delicious and is very easy to make.
I served this dish with grilled chicken however you can eat it alone or serve with any protein of your choice.
4 cups frozen peas
1/2 pound new potatoes peeled
1 medium leek thinly sliced
1 green onion sliced
2 tbsp fresh mint chopped
3 tbsp chopped chives
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 large bunch watercress, large stems removed
2 cloves fresh garlic
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 quart water
– Boil potatoes in a medium saucepan with a pinch of salt for about 20 minutes until tender.
– Transfer potatoes into a colander and cool.
– Cook leek and green onion for about 2 minutes in a large pan with olive oil then add garlic and peas.
– Cook for another 2 minutes then add potatoes, chives and mint.
– Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
– Remove from heat and stir in watercress and transfer to a serving dish.