I am happy to have had a few days off before the new year began as it meant more time to do the hings I love including cooking. On most weeks I find myself settling for scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast but whenever I have time I like to make something a little more special than scrambled eggs. These Toaster Oven Baked Italian eggs are a great way to up your breakfast game. Eggs baked in a garlicky marinara sauce topped with melted cheese. Its absolute heaven!
This recipe sounds like a lot of work but is actually super easy. The ingredients speak for themselves i this dish. I am a big believer that good quality ingredients are what makes a meal great. You could be using the most advanced technique to cook but if your ingredients are not the best quality your final result will just be ok.
I like to make this dish with leftover homemade marinara sauce but you can use a good quality store bought sauce if you don’t have time to make your own. The Rao’s Homemade brand makes one of the best sauces as far as I am concerned, I highly recommend. Next thing is to make sure you are using nice fresh eggs. I think free range organic eggs always taste a little better but regular eggs will so work. Last but not list make sure you have some fresh basil and good quality cheese to finish the dish.
You can make this recipe in the oven however I like to use my Ninja Foodi toaster oven for something like this. Advantages of a toaster oven is that it is right on your countertop for easy access, it doesn’t require long preheating times, uses less energy and has less clean-up.
How to Make Italian Baked Eggs in a Toaster Oven
Step 1: Place Marinara Suace in a Ramekin dish.
Step 2: Add Eggs. You can gently remove the white string attached to the york at this point if it bothers you.
Step 3: Add milk and top with cheese.
Step 4: Bake in toaster over at 325 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes till egg is set to your liking and cheese has melted.
Final Result is perfectly cooked eggs in a delicious garlicky sauce. Top with fresh basil and toast your favorite whole grain bread to dip into the eggs.
- 4 Eggs (Organic, free range preferably)
- 1/2 cup Marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese mix
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Rub inside ramekin dish with olive oil then place 1/4 cup marinara sauce in each ramekin.
- Gently crack 2 eggs in each ramekin, followed by a tsp of milk in each then top with cheese.
- Reduce temperature to 325 degrees and cook for about 12-15 minutes till eggs white is set and yolks are set to your liking.
- Remove from oven, top wth fresh basil and serve immediately with whole grain toast.