If you are not sure what to do with left over mashed potatoes I have just the recipe for you….Potato pancakes. I stumbled across this idea on food.com and now I actually cook extra mashed potatoes just to make this recipe.It’s very simple and great for breakfast the next morning.
2 cups leftover mashed potatoes1/4 cup whole wheat flour2 scallions thinly sliced2 eggs beaten1/2 tsp garlic powderSalt and pepperOlive oil or organic non stick cooking spray
10 medium size russet potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp truffle oil
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees .
- Peel potatoes then soak in cold water and vinegar for 5 minutes.
- scrape surface of potatoes with a fork , this is mostly for presentation.
- Par-boil potatoes in salted water for about 15 minutes. Potatoes do not need to get fully cooked, this step speeds up the roasting process and results in fully cooked potatoes.
- Drain potatoes then sprinkle paprika , garlic powder, salt , pepper and coat potatoes with olive oil and truffle oil.
- Roast potatoes for 20 minutes until potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with your favorite roast and gravy
I am a big fan of potatoes, but I tend to make the same potato dishes like mashed potatoes, baked potato or potato salad. My mum recently told me about a potato and spinach dish she likes to make and I could not believe how simple the recipe was. Spinach is one of my favorite vegetables so having it with potatoes is a perfect combination for me. I made this spinach and potatoes last night and it will definitely become a regular on my menu. This side dish is great with steamed vegetables, rotisserie chicken and avocado slices like my mum did below.
2 pounds white potatoes
3 garlic cloves minced
1/4 cup onions finely chopped
1 pound spinach
juice from one lemon
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot ,cover potatoes with salted water and bring to boil over medium heat until tender.Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add onion and garlic.Cook for about a minute until onion softens.
- Add spinach and cook until it is wilted then add potatoes ,lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook for about 5 minutes and serve warm.
One of my favorite dishes growing up was potato salad., I remember all that was added to the potatoes was mayonnaise, eggs and grated carrots. Despite the very plain recipe, I could not have enough of it. While watching the food network channel years ago I saw one of the chefs add fresh herbs to their potato salad and since then I have never made potato salad the same way. You can add your favorite ingredients to the salad like tuna or celery. My lovely sister Val made this potato salad and she added bean sprouts for a nice twist to the recipe. Serve with grilled chicken and vegetables for a complete meal.
1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
1 large egg
1/2cup chick peas
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup buttermilk or cream (optional)
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup dill, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan with cold water and salt , put potatoes and eggs and boil.
- After 13 minutes take egg out and cool
- Continue cooking potatoes until soft but not overcooked, about 6 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and cool.
- Mix together remaining ingredients excluding the egg in a large bowl.
- Chop egg into extremely small pieces then add into bowl.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into quarters or smaller if using big potatoes.
- Add potatoes into bowl and gently mix with dressing.Add salt and pepper to taste.