Last week after a long day at work I was very hungry and needed healthy meal that would not keep me in the kitchen too long.After staring at refrigerator for 2 minutes, I remembered watching an episode of everyday Italian on the food network where Giada made a quick wholewheat spaghetti with lemon, basil and salmon dish that seemed to die for. I always have pasta, salmon fresh herbs and in my fridge so I decided to give the recipe a try.
After 20 minutes of cooking I was sitting down in front of the television wondering why I had not made this dish before.The dish was absolutely amazing and adding fresh garlic and lemon to the spaghetti gave it a very light and fresh taste.The only difference is that I did not have wholewheat spaghetti so I used regular which still produced great results.This recipe will definitely be a regular on my menu,thanks Giada!
1/2 a pound spaghetti
2 cloves garlic minced
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper for seasoning
2 pieces of salmon
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoons capers
5 cherry tomatoes halved
1 lemon zested and juiced
4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1 tsp dill
1/2 tsp paprika
- Before you start cooking it is important to have all ingredients ready that way everything comes together at once.Start by seasoning salmon with dill, salt ,pepper and paprika and set aside.Make sure lemon has been zested and juiced before making pasta.
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil over high heat and add spaghetti.Cook spaghetti per package instructions, make sure its not too soft.
- While pasta is cooking , heat olive oil in a skillet and add seasoned salmon .Cook salmon for about 3 minutes per side depending on the thickness and remove from pan.
- In the same pan add spinach and tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Drain Pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Add garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, capers , basil ,remaining olive oil , salt and pepper to bowl and toss to combine.Feel free to add more olive oil if it is too dry.
- Serve in wide bowls with spaghetti at the bottom , then spinach and salmon at the top.enjoy!