One of my favorite things to eat is rice and I am always looking for new ways to make it more exciting. Thanks to one of my favorite grocery stores ‘Trader Joes’ I found just what I needed to up my rice game. I found a colorful package of rice which contains a blend of Aged Indian Basmati Rice, Wild rice, Dehydrated garden herbs and vegetables.What I liked about the little package of gold compared to other rice blends is that it does not contain salt , preservatives or ingredients with names I cannot pronounce. If you happen to be at Trader Joe’s I recommend you pick up the Basmati Rice Medley package.
I decided to serve the rice with roast chicken and sweet plantains. Although the rice has some vegetables in it, I added more fresh vegetables from my kitchen for more nutritional value. The end result was delicious and has become a regular on my weekly rotation.
2 cups Basmati rice Medley
4 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1tsp fresh ginger minced
4 sticks of asparagus sliced
5 button mushrooms sliced
11/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
1 green onion chopped
salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy saucepan combine rice, chicken broth, olive oil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover with tight fitting lid and and simmer for 15 minutes. Once rice is cooked remove from heat and let is cool . I like to make my rice the day before or in the morning so it is not too soft and mushy when I mix it with the vegetables later on.
- In a large pan or wok heat a little olive oil. Add garlic,yellow onion and ginger and cook until onions are tender (about 1 min). Add curry powder and cumin to onion mixture and cook for another minute.
- Add a mushrooms and asparagus and cook for about 3 minutes. Make sure not to overcook asparagus, it should not be soggy but have a crunch to it.
- Add about a 1 tsp of olive oil to the pan then add rice. Cook rice until it is heated up and combined with the other ingredients.
- Add cilantro and green onion to rice mixture and remove from heat.
- Serve with chicken or any seafood of your choice. I served mine with roast chicken , boiled plantains and cherry tomatoes.You can also eat this alone if you are not a meat eater.