It’s football season! We just watched our first game recently and as soon as the game started all my sadness about summer ending disappeared. One of the things I love about football season is the game-day gatherings we have with our friends and family at home. I always make it a mission to serve something different and special for our guests to crate an awesome homegating experience. Since we follow a mostly plant based diet, I always serve some meatless options like these Easy Meatless Beef Empanadas made with Gardein Beefless Ground.
Meatless options do not have to be boring celery sticks or pretzels. More and more people are eating plant based meals and want options that look and taste like meat; thanks to meatless brands like Gardein it has become very easy to find these options. Gardein has various plant-based entrée and appetizer options including beefless ground, meatless meatballs, crabless cakes and even plant based chicken nuggets which all taste like meat and are perfect for homegating and tailgating
I use the beefless ground a lot in my cooking and it is great for this awesome meatless empanada recipe. You can use it for so many other recipes including meatless shepherds pie, tacos, spaghetti Bolognese
How to Make Easy Meatless Beef Empanadas: A pictorial guide
This recipe is very easy especially if you use the premade pastry. I love puff pastry for this dish as it is light, flaky with a nutty flavor. The recipe yields 20 empanadas which is plenty for a small game-day get together.
If you want to eat less meat for a meal, a month, or everyday you will be glad to know every chef-created Gardein recipe is made to give you the most “meaty” tasty, quality, and texture. I for one love their products and recommend them for meatless meals.
- 1 package Gardein beefless ground
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 large onion
- 3 carrot sticks diced
- 3 celery sticks diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 large potato diced into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- Empanada Dough or frozen pastry dough, defrosted
- In frying pan, heat oil and sauté onions, potatoes, carrots, celery and garlic until soft. Add paprika, chili powder and oregano. Add beefless ground and cook for 2 minutes then add the crushed tomatoes and cook until hot.
- Set aside to cool a little.
- While beefless ground mixture cools prepare the pastry dough and cut into circles.
- Place a spoonful of stuffing, topped with cheese on half of each dough circle. Wet the edges with milk, Fold dough over filling and seal with a fork and brush a beaten egg over each empanada.
- Bake in a 200°C/400°F oven until cooked and lightly browned.