Last Sunday I was in the mood for some comfort food so I looked around and noticed I had some cheese and shrimp in the fridge. I always have pasta and flour in my pantry so I thought what could be more comforting than good old delicious Mac and Cheese. I decided to make a shrimp Mac and Cheese instead of plain. The secret to my dish is turkey bacon which gives it a nice flavor. This dish is very rich and high in calories so I make it once in a while. I do not believe in depriving myself of the things I love in order to be healthy, the key is moderation. I served my Mac and Cheese with a green salad. If you are not a fan of shrimp you can skip it or add tuna or shredded chicken .Yummy!
1 pound elbow Macaroni
1 pound frozen shrimp chopped
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 1/2 cups half and half
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 strips turkey bacon
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 small onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.Cook macaroni according to package directions and make sure it is al dente to prevent mushy results.
- In a large sauce pan cook the bacon, chop and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onions and garlic and cook till onion is soft.
- Melt butter in the onion mixture, add flour and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Add milk and whisk until mixture is smooth. Simmer for about 5 minutes until sauce has thickened. Season with adobo seasoning
- Place strained macaroni in the sauce, stir in Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, shrimp, bacon and parsley. Make sure you set aside some parsley and chopped bacon for garnishing.
- Mix with wooden spoon and place in a baking dish. Top with some Parmesan cheese, parsley and panco breadcrumbs. Bake for 15-20 minutes.