Way before I became obsessed with cooking ,the only food I ate was rice , potatoes and pasta. With time I discovered that there were more side dish options like Quinoa , Couscous and Polenta that could be added to my daily rotation. These not only add variety to your diet but they are also good for you. See my post on quinoa for its health benefits.
Today’s Savory Tuesday recipe is Grilled chicken wings with a Moroccan couscous salad. This salad not only looks delicious, it also tastes delicious. You can use Israeli couscous instead of Moroccan couscous if you wish, just make sure you use good olive oil. This couscous salad can be served by itself if you are cooking for a vegetarian otherwise serve with curried lamb or any meat of your choice. I decided to serve mine with grilled chicken wings. Yummy !
|Spoons and Stilettos : Grilled chicken with Moroccan couscous salad.|
Moroccan Couscous recipe:
1 cup couscous
1 1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp fresh ginger minced
1 large clove garlic minced
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 1/2 cup chickpeas rinsed and drained
1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped
1/4 tsp Spanish saffron
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 carrot grated
2 green onions sliced
2 slices of red onion halved and separated
- Mix 3 tbsp olive oil, cumin, turmeric, curry powder, lemon juice, salt, ginger and garlic in a small bowl and set aside
- Heat up chicken broth ,butter and saffron in a small saucepan until it begins to boil.
- Place couscous in a big bowl , add the chicken broth , cover bowl with cling wrap or lid and stand fork about 10 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a fork then add the carrots, peppers, onions, cilantro and chickpeas .
- Pour the olive oil dressing over the couscous and vegetables and mix until everything in the bowl is coated in the dressing.
- Stand salad for about an hour or more before serving so flavors can combine.
- Serve with grilled chicken , curried lamb or even by itself if you are a vegetarian.
Grilled chicken recipe:
This chicken wing recipe is from one of my favorite cooking websites All recipes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 11/2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp olive oil , 11/2 tbsp fresh lime juice, 2 minced garlic cloves in small bowl . Pour soy sauce mixture over 1 1/2 pound chicken wings in a big bowl and mix.
- Cover bowl and and marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or more for maximum flavor.
- Place chicken wings in a greased roaster , add 2 fresh sprigs of rosemary and bake for 30 – 45 minutes or until wings are golden brown.