Now that I am free every weekend I find myself getting very creative when it comes to breakfast. Usually I would make toast ,scrambled eggs and a grilled tomato but now I am making things like eggs Benedict.
We always hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and this is very true. If you skip breakfast, chances are high that you are going to over eat on the next meal usually with unhealthy foods.
This past weekend I decided to keep it casual and make breakfast pizzas with English muffins. I know you are thinking to yourself this doesn’t sound healthy at all. Fear not, I used very little cheese and substituted Italian sausage with turkey sausage for a healthier alternative.
4 English muffins
2 turkey or chicken sausage sliced
3 tbsp crushed tomato paste
2 green onions sliced
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 small tomato diced
1 cup shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- put a thin layer of crushed tomatoes on each half of the English muffins ( I used tomatoes from a can of crushed tomatoes with basil )
- Start layering each English muffin with garlic and a little of the green onion then follow with the sausage and tomato.
- Top with another layer of green onions and finish off with a little cheese on each muffin.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 mins or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Make sure you serve with a side of fruit for a balanced breakfast. In this case I used fresh grapefruit, orange and a cup of green tea.