The best eggplant recipe…I know its a pretty bold statement to make but I truly believe it and those who have tried it loved it. Eggplant is one of those foods that you either like or hate however this recipe can change a eggplant hater into a fan. Topped with feta, herbs and cherry tomatoes this dish is the perfect blend of simplicity and great flavor.
6 Tips to making the best eggplant recipe
When cooking eggplant its important to choose the right eggplant as this is the key to a tasty eggplant dish. I did some research online and used my personal experience to come up with some tips on how to choose the best eggplant and cook it well.
- Smooth and plump skin: The skin should be very smooth, plump and shiny with no wrinkles or blemishes. The is the best visible indication of a good eggplant. A dull and wrinkly eggplant is usually a sign that the eggplant has been around for too long.
- The smaller the better: Often you see large eggplants is stores and you think if its big it must be better but this is not the case with eggplant. Larger eggplants tend to be bitter and less tender which is not what you want.
- Leave the skin on when roasting or grilling: This is important if you want to keep the eggplant slices intact.
- Thoroughly dry and brush the eggplant with olive oil:When grilling the eggplant make sure it is dry and brushed with olive oil to prevent it from sticking and charring.
- Make sure oil is very hot: Eggplant tends to soak in fat really quickly so it is important that the oil you are cooking with is hot to reduce the amount of oil absorption.
- Slices or pieces should be spaced out and in a single layer: cooking too many slices in the pan will produce steam which will lead to a mushy eggplant.
Things you may need:
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means I get a small commission when you click through product links. Click here for my full disclosure policy.