A quick and easy meal is always the goal on a weeknight and this sausage and kale spaghetti recipe fits the bill. All you need is some good sausage, spaghetti, kale and peppers to make this easy dish. I used hot Italian sausage and have used lamb sausage for this dish before. The sausage is a nice break from ground beef because of its delicious and unique flavor.
I really love how this dish comes together with the different textures of ingredients. You could use spinach in place of kale but I like the bite that kale provides when its not overcooked. Peppers are a well known accompaniment to sausage so adding them to this dish was a no brainer. I did not go heavy on seasonings since the sausage is already packed with flavor. Just some garlic, salt and pepper will do the trick.
Noticed how I mentioned a good sausage in the beginning of this post. The reason is that sausage is not recommended in most diets especially the Paleo diet, but since I am not a believer in restrictions, I suggest being very picky with your sausage. Some sausages are packed with meat fillers and lots of fat which I try to stay away from. I have decided to share some good tips for picking a good sausage that you may find helpful.
How to choose a good sausage
- Choose a sausage with at least 85% meat and less than 5% saturated fat.
- Stay away from sausage that contains additives and preservatives like sulphur dioxide
- Avoid sausage with very high sodium content.
- Always check what kind of meat is the sausage. Sometimes the front of the package may say chicken sausage but contains chicken and pork or other kinds of meat.
- Avoid sausage with fillers like maize, maltodextrin, hydrolysed vegetable protein and more. Fillers are used to add more weight to the sausage.
It will be very hard to find a sausage like this but they certainly exist. I usually get mine at Whole Foods and they are worth the extra 2 or 3 bucks.
Let me know if you try this Sausage and Kale Spaghetti Recipe, you can shoot me direct message or tag me on Instagram. I am always looking forward to hearing from you. If you are in need for another weeknight recipe inspiration, you may also check out my Pan Seared Salmon with cucumber dill sauce recipe
Things you may need:
FYI: This post contains affiliate links.