This on his for the meat lovers! Ever had delicious slow cooked Moroccan spiced lamb shanks? If not don’t worry I have a easy recipe for you. The beauty of this dish is that very little liquid is used which means the shanks cook in their own juices including the juice from the tomatoes creating intense flavor. Spices like cumin, ground coriander, five spice and cinnamon are what make this dish shine.
This dish is better prepared in a tagine pot but you can use a dutch oven if you don’t have one.
Serve with rice and cucumber salad.
2 organic lamb shanks
1 large onion sliced
3 large cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 medium tomatoes quartered
fresh herb mix of rosemary, thyme and savory
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp five spice
2 tsp shwarma spice
1 handful cilantro chopped
1 tbsp chicken broth
salt and freshly ground pepper
– Remember not to preheat oven if using a tagine pot
– Season lambs shanks with salt and pepper then brown on both sides in a hot pan with olive oil.
– Remove shanks from pan the add onions, ginger and spices. Cook for about 3 minutes to intensify the flavor of the spices.
– Add garlic and cook for another minute.
– layer bottom of tagine pot with onion and spice mix.
– Place lamb shanks and tomatoes over the the onion mix followed by the fresh herbs.
– Cover and cook for 2hrs till meat is tender and falls off the bone
– Add cilantro right at the end and serve.