It’s Meatless Monday and I am excited about today’s rice and cauliflower gratin recipe. I found this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs The Sprouted Kitchen and I am in love. This recipe is very simple and absolutely yummy. The main ingredients you will need are rice, cauliflower, cheese and milk. The dish is great by itself however I served mine with black bean patties and a tomato avocado salsa.
2 cups rice ( I used Trader Joe’s basmati and wild rice mix)
1 head cauliflower cut into small pieces
2 cups milk
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
2 tbsp flour
1 medium onion chopped
2 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
3 large cloves garlic
1 tsp dried Italian herb
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
freshly ground pepper and salt
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cook rice. When rice is cooked set aside to cool then flash boil cauliflower for 4 minutes making sure it is is not overcooked. Add the cooked cauliflower to rice and mix gently.
– Melt butter in a hot saucepan then add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
– Add flour to onion mix, cook for a minute and add milk. Reduce heat to medium and continue stirring until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Add cheese, 1/2 the parsley, nutmeg, Italian herb and cook for another 2 minutes. Pour sauce into rice mixture.
– Add salt and pepper to your liking then place mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle some more cheese on the top and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and cook for another 5 minutes until golden brown.
– Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining parsley on the top. Serve warm.
|Rice and cauliflower casserole|
This is one of my favorite rice dishes, I would love to know your favorite rice dish ?