If you are not sure what to do with that ground turkey that has been in your freezer for weeks try making turkey meatballs, you will be glad with the end result. I love spaghetti and meatballs and since I don’t usually have beef in my fridge I use ground turkey instead. As you already know I am a food network addict because it is where I get most of my inspiration from. I got the idea for turkey meatballs from Giada and used her recipe with my own little twist. I added some cumin to give the sauce more depth and I also added fresh garlic and onion to the marinara sauce for more flavor.
1 pound ground turkey
3 gloves garlic minced (reserve 1 clove for sauce)
1 medium onion finely chopped (reserve half for sauce)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley chopped
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp salt and pepper
2 small eggs
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp cumin
26 ounces tomato sauce or store bought marinara sauce.
3 tbsp olive oil
- Add onion, garlic, parsley, Parmesan cheese, ketchup, breadcrumbs, eggs, hot sauce,salt and pepper into a bowl and blend. Mix in the turkey and shape into medium sized balls and place on a large plate.
- Heat up a large pan , add olive oil and then cook meatballs until browned on all sides.Once browned transfer meatballs to a plate
- In the same pan add remaining onion and garlic with cumin and saute till onion is cooked , about 2 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce and add return meatballs to pan. Simmer under low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti and sprinkle fresh parsley on the top.