To enjoy the last few days of summer, the BF and I decided to spend some time outdoors at the park. There is something about taking a walk or sitting at a beautiful park that makes me feel at peace….I highly recommend it.
I opted to bring some food and drink and turned it into a mini picnic as well.
If you are thinking of having a picnic and are not sure what food to bring, the easiest option is make sandwiches. A favorite of mine are curried egg salad sandwiches with lettuce and arugula, these are super easy to make and very delicious.
4 slices of Quinoa bread toasted (substitute with wholegrain bread)
4 large hard boiled eggs (substitute with chicken)
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp mild curry powder
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 small onion chopped finely
1/2 tsp grainy mustard
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 medium celery stalk chopped
I tomato sliced
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tsp fresh chives
salt and pepper
– Boil eggs for about 10-12 minutes until they are hard boiled.
– While eggs are boiling mix garlic, mustard and mayonnaise in a small bowl and set aside.
– Add chopped onion, celery and herbs in a big bowl.
– Once eggs are cooked and cooled, roughly chop them and add to bowl.
– Add curry powder, salt and pepper followed by the mayo dressing and mix gently.
– Let egg mixture sit for about 10 minutes to allow flavors to develop,
– Toast bread and begin layering the sandwich.
– I like to start with lettuce as it creates a barrier that prevents the egg mixture from leaking into the bread and making it soggy.
– Place egg salad over lettuce followed by tomatoes then top with arugula. The arugula will create another moisture barrier.
– Wrap in tin foil or cling wrap and place in a insulated picnic bag.
Remember to brink something to drink. I made a grapefruit, watermelon juice and added some grapes and water to the picnic bag.