Looking for a quick weeknight meal ? try these delicious chicken mozzarella sandwiches. This is a recipe I came up with one evening by accident. I had planned on making basil chicken with rice until I realized I was out of rice. My sister has been bugging me to post a sandwich recipe so I thought why not make chicken sandwiches for dinner. Since the chicken had already been marinating in the fridge this recipe took me less than 20 mins to prepare which was a plus. If you are a working girl like me and don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, I suggest marinating it the night before so it is ready to cook when you get home from work.
4 boneless chicken thighs
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 red onion sliced
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
3 dorot chopped basil cubes (can be found at Trader Joe’s)
8 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
1 tomato thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
4 plain bagels toasted
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp chopped fresh chives
- Add garlic, thawed basil cubes, balsamic vinegar, 2 tsp olive oil ,salt and pepper to chicken thighs and marinate in the refrigerator for an hour. (You can use finely chopped fresh basil if you don’t have the frozen basil )
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil in heated pan and cook marinated chicken thighs until chicken is cooked and browned.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- mix mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and chives in small bowl and set aside.
- Place slices of mozzarella on top of each chicken thigh and cook in oven until cheese starts to melt.
- Meanwhile toast bagels and thinly slice the red onion and tomato.
- Spread mayonnaise dressing on bagel, add onion slices, then place chicken and cheese over onions and top with sliced tomato.