You are probably wondering why I would make tomato sauce on a weeknight considering the length of time it takes to prepare. Well the answer is leftover homemade sauce. Whenever I make tomato sauce I always freeze some for future use so all I had to do was reheat the sauce and voila!
10 cups tomato sauce (click on this link Homemade tomato sauce for my homemade tomato sauce recipe) 4 thin sliced chicken breasts
1 tbsp flour
8 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced ( I used shredded mozzarella/cheddar cheese because I was out of fresh)
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 tsp each onion powder, garlic powder and paprika.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Start by reheating tomato sauce under low heat while preparing chicken. Add 1/2 a cup chopped fresh basil in the sauce during simmer. You may use store bought sauce if that's your thing, I prefer to make my own.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, onion powder and dredge with flour. Dip seasoned chicken in beaten egg and drain excess egg by lifting chicken breast up.
- Mix breadcrumbs with paprika, garlic and onion powder, then coat each chicken breast with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Cook chicken in a thin layer of canola oil until golden brown.
- Pour a generous amount of tomato sauce in Pyrex dish and place chicken pieces on top. Pour the remaining sauce over the chicken making sure some of the chicken remains exposed. Place remaining basil over chicken pieces.
- Top each chicken breast with cheese and bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve over spaghetti or with Italian bread .Yummy!