I am one those people who does not like to throw away any food so I am always trying to find ways to use all fresh produce before it goes bad. I find it so annoying when a recipe calls for 5 leaves of basil but you can only buy a whole bunch. Since basil has a short life, I almost end up throwing away half the package after using what I need.
I made some naan bread pizza with basil the day before and had plenty of basil left over. I was determined not to throw this basil away so I had to find another recipe that called for fresh basil. I got an idea to make a slaw with herbs from Martha Stewart online. Thanks to Martha and her culinary genius my basil was saved from the trash can. I used her recipe as a base and added my own twist to suit my tastes.
This is a typical summer dish and I know we are in the middle of winter so bear with me because I refuse to throw away my basil. After all, this girl is on a budget.
Below are the step by step directions on how to make this easy and tasty slaw. Enjoy!
4 cups shredded cabbage with carrots
2 green onions sliced
1 small tomato with insides removed
1 navel orange
2 tbsp champagne vinegar
1 cup fresh basil torn
1/2 cup parsley chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut skin off from oranges with a sharp knife then slice oranges along membranes to release segments. Make sure you do this over a bowl so you can use the juice for the dressing. Once orange is segmented, squeeze juice from membranes into the bowl .You should have segments like the picture below.
- Mix the orange juice, champagne vinegar and olive oil in the small bowl until well emulsified.
- chop fresh parsely and tear basil leaves
- Place cabbage, parsley, green onions, basil , tomatoes, avocado and orange segments into a bowl and mix gently. Seaoson with salt and pepper to taste
- Let salad stand for 15 minutes before serving for maximum flavor.